Division of Nutritional Sciences

History

Established in 1867, the University of Illinois has a long history of excellence in nutrition instruction, research and outreach. In the 1920s and 1930s, W.C. Rose and H.H. Mitchell made fundamental contributions to protein and amino acid nutrition. Since then, the campus has remained strong in experimental and comparative nutrition.

Organized in 1968, the Division of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) involves over 60 faculty from 8 colleges in the University. The Division offers outstanding interdisciplinary opportunities for graduate education and research. Comprehensive programs of study leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Nutritional Sciences are available. Students may design an individualized program of study, based on their particular educational interests, career objectives and recommendations of their academic advisor and graduate committee. Approximately 60 graduate students currently are pursuing thesis research within the Division of Nutritional Sciences.

Also click here to see past Directors of DNS and an extended history of the Division (pdf).